Blog Information and Disclaimer

Some posts are written in exchange for monetary compensation

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The State of Coffee


Written/Edited by Eliza Chute

I do not claim to be a coffee connoisseur, in fact I am far from it. As a few of my friends put it, I don’t drink coffee, I drink caffeinated sugar milk. Because of this fact I tend to judge a coffee shop by its mocha. The mocha drink of Blue State Coffee on Thayer street, though a little more coffee and a little less sugary than I normally prefer, was quite delicious. However, Blue State coffee has a greater appeal than simply the taste of their coffee. Not only is the coffee both organically grown and fair traded, but after you buy it you are given a voting tablet, where you can then vote for which charity you would like them to donate 5% of their profits to. After purchasing my mocha I took my tab and put it into the Marriage Equality of RI slot, before tasting my drink and deciding not to add an extra packet of sugar.
Blue State Coffee was started by lawyer Marshall Ruben and his son, Drew. These men are on a mission, a mission which is four-pronged. First of all, they deal with only fair trade, organic coffee, and as they put it, “roasted to perfection”. Secondly, they donate 5% of profits that reflect their “progressive values”, some of those in Rhode Island include, Youth in Action, Southside Community Land Trust, RI family life center, and the previously mentioned Marriage Equality RI. According to their web-site they have already donated 78,000 dollars to various causes. If that isn’t noble enough, they also make an effort to “run a zero waste, environmentally sustainable business.” They take various measures to do this, from discounts for people who bring their own mug to their Providence location being completely powered by wind power. O yea, and they are also trying to bring everyone dedicated to bettering the country together through their shops. They say coffee is an acquired taste, one I have yet to acquire, but this is something I can definitely see myself getting used to.

All quotes taken from Blue State website http://www.bluestatecoffee.com/

Get your copy of the best selling book The Basic Art of Italian Cooking at www.marialiberati.com

Join Celebrity Chef Maria Liberati on June 15th at Willingboro Library for a book signing and cooking program. Free and open to the public call llibrary for info or email events@marialiberati.com

June 13th- Saturday- 5PM hear Celebrity Chef Maria Liberati 's latest interview on Chicago's Restaurant Radio show on AM 560 WIND or listen to it online from anywhere in the world at www.restaurantradio.tv




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: